Dearborn, Mich., April 17, 1999 - They met 35 years ago at the New York World's Fair, and the courtship between Americans and the Ford Mustang has been going strong ever since.
Ford permanently changed the course of the American auto industry when it introduced Mustang, because this car had the attributes of a sports car yet remained simple and offered value for the money.
The latest evolution of Mustang still has the touches of its ancestor, but with a new design and powertrain and handling enhancements. These include significant power increases for the Mustang V-6 and V-8 engines, a new exterior design and, for the first time on Mustang, an optional traction control system.
Special 35th Edition:
In celebration of this event, all 1999 Mustangs will display exterior badging and special pony seat embroidery. A limited number of 35th anniversary packages of exterior and interior enhancements will be offered on Mustang GT coupe and convertible.
- Body-colored hood scoop, deck lid spoiler, side scoops and rocker panels
- Black deck-lid applique' between taillamps and black tape applique' on hood
- 17-by 8-inch bright machined five-spoke aluminum wheels with unique galloping pony logo
- Choice of four paint colors: Black Clearcoat, Silver Clearcoat Metallic, Crystal White Clearcoat and Performance Red Clearcoat
- Midnight Black GT leather/vinyl seats with silver leather inserts and pony logo on front-seat backs
- Silver/Midnight Black carpeted floor mats with 35th anniversary logo
- Silver leather door trim inserts
- Instrument cluster with gray mask and 35th anniversary script
- Aluminum shift knob for manual transmission